View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 12:30 PM   #286
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Houston @ Dallas Gameday Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
As for the coaches, I still can't understand why Stack has to take the final shot (and a jumper at that!) when Dirk's been unstoppable the whole game and Yao Ming was fouled out. We lead the whole game to again make it close on some stupid coaching mistakes at the end of the regulation.
I can see why Dirk wouldn't get the final shot, the Rockets would double team him. However I would loved to have seen Dirk get the ball closer to the basket and force the double team and pass out to the open man or to have the ball swung to the open man rather than the isolation play for Stackhouse.
Ideally I'd like to see Dirk getting the ball on the perimeter, keep it until 4 or 5 seconds left and either step back a little for a jumper or drive in for a layup/foul. If on his jumper attempt, he gets doubled, then he should pass to the guy cutting to the rim (usually the one who's left open by the doubling guy). And if Dirk doesn't pass but just shoots anyway, we need Damp & JHo cutting to the rim for an offensive rebound & put back in one motion as time expires.

I'm tired of seeing second tier players on this team taking the ball, dribbling until time expires and then either fumble or throw up a lame jumper. Dirk is 7' and universally accepted as an unstoppable, offensive force. It's just insane for him to not take control of the last possession. I'd say we have a 60-40 chance with the ball in Dirk's hands and 30-70 chance with the ball in anyone else's hands as Refs are loathe to call a foul on the last possession.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote