View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 12:40 PM   #287
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Houston @ Dallas Gameday Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:
I can see why Dirk wouldn't get the final shot, the Rockets would double team him. However I would loved to have seen Dirk get the ball closer to the basket and force the double team and pass out to the open man or to have the ball swung to the open man rather than the isolation play for Stackhouse.
That is because when the Mavs got the rebound, Nellie didn't call a time out. The Mavs were forced to run up court without a set play. Dirk got the ball at the 3 point line and he had intentions on shooting it. But he was quickly doubled and was forced to pass to Stackhouse. It worked out in OT but that last play was the result of poor coaching.
You won't really get an argument from me over that. Nellie has driven me nuts with his refusal to call timeouts late in games to set up a shot for several years now.
I agree with both of you on this. Nellie's time-out policy is ridiculous. We could be sitting on a 15 point lead and he doesn't call a timeout until we lose the entire lead. That's just crazy. I've been observing this since the infamous game where we lost a 27 point lead in the 4th quarter to the Lakers. Popovich on the other hand uses his timeouts to stop the other teams momentum regardless of how much his team is leading or trailing by.

Another pet peeve of mine with Nellie is, why does he allow players to shoot long jumpers with several seconds left on the clock, late in the 4th quarter especially when we're leading (Minnesota game comes to mind). *sigh*
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote