View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #57
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Religious/Political Question

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Sturm, remember how the bible was written thousands of years ago, when slavery existed?

Modern day's equivalent of slavery is work. Do you obey your boss?
That is exactly my point, Mavsman. You just took a passage from the Bible and drew an analogy between yesterday and today – you are interpreting it figuratively, not literally. If you took the whole thing literally, as you claim to do, you would necessarily have to believe that slavery (the real kind - not the figurative slavery you mention) is moral and divinely-ordained.

We all read the Bible figuratively and interpret in different ways. Yours and mine just happen to be quite different...
I can understand/agree with you here.

I'm not so sure this verse is endorsing slavery (or work), as much as requesting that slaves be obedient to their masters. A main point stressed over and over again in the bible is diligence, and if one can endure being ordered around with diligence, then they can most likely endure any of the stresses/trials they encounter throughout their lives. But hey, that's my interpretation. And I appreciate what you have to say. Just please explain to me how you interpret 1 Timothy 1:8-10 as anything other than what it sounds like. Thanks for being civil.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote