View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 06:36 PM   #86
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Religious/Political Question

Paul did know of Greek customs - and, of course, homosexuality was a behaviour, not a relationship. Master/slave. Often forced. They were extra-marital and debauched. They were anything but real, loving, equa relationships. As such, they were, as we have all no doubt read, a celebration of carnal pleasures.

With this in mind, can you contextually read a condemnation of homosexuality as idolatry, as placing corporeal needs before God? Is that what Paul is damning? Gluttony, for example, is set forth as a sin - and discussed much more frequently than homosexuality. But do we think that the true sin was being fat? Or is it placing a corporeal need before God - again, idolatry? Is that what the Bible meant? With gluttony, I believe it is so. Again, if we interpret gluttony (a mortal sin, unlike homosexuality) contextually – why not homosexuality?

I'm not being flippant. I'm interested to hear your answer to the above question.