View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #12
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Has Mavs defense really improved? Or it's only an Illusion?

Quote:
Originally posted by: greensborohill
Reason I said that is you started to say that the Mavs had bad D, then when someone brought up some stats that showed otherwise you said the following. . .

Quote:
Ok, so they can hold opponent under 100 per game but they don't even score 100 per game. What good is defense if you have bad offense?
So basically you back tracked. You came in here and made a statement on the Mavs D without knowing what you were talking about first. And that's why I said what I said.

Defense should be judge within the context of every game. Pheonix doesn't want to play grind it out, they want to run, and since they are a great offensive team most teams can't hang and so you see a large point differential. If you let the Suns dictate the pace of the game then you will most likely lose.

The Mavs are vastly improved on defense, that is a fact. All you have to do is look at opponenets FG% to prove that. Offense is what needs to be improved, and that should happen with time. The more this team plays together the more they will gel. PG play will be key as well.
Now you post something more "reasonable" than "whoever started this thread is an idiot".

I am always open to discussions and that's what these basketball forums are for. I was pissed that Mavs lost to Spurs twice and both were kinda ugly. I still think the point differential is something they need to think about. Good defense is great but if you want to win on a consistent basis, you need good offense too.

I've only had the chance to watch two Mavs games this year. I just don't like the way they run offense. There's hardly ball movement and the PGs sucked big time. I am glad that Terry got replaced by Armstrong. Terry plays a lot like Nick Van which is important when Mavs needs offense from the bench. Harris is still too inexperienced which I can understand.

In conclusion, when you have better defense and better offense, you have better point differential.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote