View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 11:12 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirk turning heads with flops

Dirk turning heads with flops, too
Rockets coach notes Nowitzki's penchant, says issue plagues NBA

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

HOUSTON – Dirk Nowitzki has never been confused with Vlade Divac, until now.

But Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy believes the Mavericks' power forward has been learning from the NBA's most notorious flopper.

"He knows how to draw fouls, he's good at it," Van Gundy said Saturday night. "He drives in there and he lets referees know when there's been contact. If there's any doubt, he makes it decisive."

It should be noted that Van Gundy believes this is a league-wide problem, not simply restricted to Nowitzki, who went to the free throw line 22 times Dec. 2 – when he had 53 points against the Rockets.

What's interesting is that the Mavericks, like every other team, can't deny that Nowitzki and all their players use the flop to their advantage.

"You have to sell the call these days," coach Don Nelson said. "It makes it really hard for the refs. I wish they'd never call any of them."

Van Gundy respects the art form that is flopping. He believes it is Nowitzki's combination of jump shooting and pump-fakes that makes him particularly adept at drawing the referee's whistle.

But he says it is not a whine about preferential treatment.

"The guy went to the line 22 times," Van Gundy said of the first meeting. "We fouled him needlessly twice 94 feet from the basket. Shame on us for that. Take away six flopping free throws, then we stopped him for 47. So our problems run much deeper.

"I was talking more in general throughout the league. I think it makes officiating impossible. And I think the game suffers for it.

"If guys go flying into the stands when it looks like he's been hit in the back on a rebound, and then you look at the tape and see minimal contact, they should start fining guys. League-wide, it's a disgrace how acting has become such an integral part of getting a call. We've benefited from it too. You go in and scream, "Aaahh" and you get a foul."

As for Nowitzki, he took talk about flopping in stride, just grinning when hearing about Van Gundy's assertions.