View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 12:55 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Timeout: Mavs need chance to rebound

Timeout: Mavs need chance to rebound
After a rough stretch, Nelson can scrutinize team more carefully

By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning News

Don Nelson looked as tired as his team Tuesday night.

The Mavericks' Erick Dampier has not played many minutes in the last two games, including seven against Golden State. With the Mavericks playing six games in nine days (going 3-3 in that span), their coach said it was time to take a break – and inventory.

With a day off Wednesday and two days of practice before starting a less hectic – six games in 19 days – schedule that will take them into the new year, Nelson said now is the time to find out where this 15-9 team fits into the NBA landscape.

"We're going to use this as a building process and try to get where this team needs to be in the next three days," Nelson said. "Then, over the next six to eight weeks, you'll find out who we are."

Nelson said the team looks "a bit confused" – and he has real evidence to sort through. First, the point guard situation is a puzzle. Veteran Jason Terry's minutes have decreased since the Mavericks traded for Darrell Armstrong. Rookie Devin Harris has played no more than five minutes in any of the last five games.

That leaves Armstrong as the court leader.

"This is my first time being traded, and it's a little tough. I'm still trying to learn the playbook," Armstrong said. "I've got to catch up, because I want to be out there together with my team. I don't want to be out there where four other guys are doing one thing and I'm doing something else."

In addition to melding Armstrong into the lineup, the Mavericks also have to find a way to use Jerry Stackhouse and the now healthy Michael Finley at the same time. They did that Tuesday against Golden State, and the two combined for 51 points, but the Mavericks allowed the Warriors to shoot 50 percent from the floor, including 9-of-20 on 3-pointers.

"I know it's tough for Coach," Stackhouse said. "It's just a matter of getting the right unit in and building some continuity. With Michael and myself out there on the wings, we're more of a scoring threat."

The Mavericks also have to decide how to attack teams defensively. Because Armstrong and Terry have been getting beat by opposing point guards off the dribble, the Mavericks have played a lot of zone in recent games. When they play zone, it usually means Shawn Bradley is in and Erick Dampier is on the bench. Dampier, who signed a seven-year, $73 million contract before this season, played seven minutes against Golden State on Tuesday and was pulled against Chicago on Monday.

But Nelson said adjustments will be made in the coming days and weeks.

"It's a good schedule, one where we can build our teamwork," Nelson said. "Hopefully, everyone will be healthy enough to have our rotation in order and we can go through some time where we can identify exactly who we need to be every night."

Because, who the Mavericks need to be, Finley said, is a winning team.

"We definitely have some winnable games, but you can't just go out there and show up," Finley said. "We have to take it one game at a time, but in the overall scheme of things, by the end of the year, we should win all of these games."