Old 12-24-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs' Howard showing Pippen-like qualities

Mavs' Howard showing Pippen-like qualities

Forward has progressed from mop-up duty to all-around standout

04:14 AM CST on Friday, December 24, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Josh Howard swoops into the paint and sticks one of his long arms a foot or so above the rim to pick off an unlikely rebound, and it brings back memories not of a superstar but of an all-around contributor on a very good team.

It reminds Howard of that, too.

"Like a Scottie Pippen," he says. "That's what I try to do – just whatever helps the team win. I just want to be a solid guy."

Pippen was perhaps the best complementary player in NBA history, an able sidekick to Michael Jordan for a decade that produced six championships.

Howard is in his second year with the Mavericks, but his play this season has been like an early Christmas present that keeps on giving.

The 6-6 Howard, whose frame is virtually identical to Pippen's, has been the Mavericks' most consistent player this season and arguably their second-best performer. He is blossoming into a rebounding machine, and his scoring is sneaky-good.

Not bad for a player who entered training camp expecting nothing more than mop-up duty this season.

"I've come a long way compared to last year," Howard said. "In summertime, they said I wasn't going to play. But I'm still playing."

And playing well, averaging 12.6 points and 7.5 rebounds. Recently, he's been even better, averaging 17.2 points and 9 rebounds in the last six games. He's the only Maverick to start all 27 games.

Howard's athletic ability is what makes him so valuable. He's a good defender. And not just when it's convenient. He puts more effort on that end of the floor. And his rebounding has been excellent – double figures in three of the last five games.

"He's always there on defense and with the rebounding, that's the reason we've played him so many minutes," coach Don Nelson says. "Normally the sophomore year is a regressing year, but once in a while, you get a guy who makes the next step in that year, and he's one of them. He's been one of my best players this year."

The only hole in Howard's game is a consistent jump shot. He's not a bad shooter, but it is his weakest link.

Opponents still play him for the drive and dare him to shoot from the perimeter.

Josh Howard's athletic ability and tenacious defense have earned the praise of Mavericks coach Don Nelson. 'He's been one of my best players this year,' Nelson said.
"Once he gets a Michael Finley-level jumper, he's an all-star," owner Mark Cuban said.

Howard said his offensive game is OK. The only problem with it is he doesn't get to unveil it very often.

"I know the coach doesn't need another scorer," he said. "I can wait another year on that. When it happens, people will be saying, "Man, I didn't know he could do that.' "

For now, most of Howard's highlights come with those high-flying, one-armed rebounds that he snatches before bigger bodies can reach them.

"I always knew I could rebound," he said. "That's the exciting part of the game, getting a big second-chance rebound and put-back."

In New York on Tuesday, Howard had a career-high 16 rebounds. It left a strong impression on Knicks' coach Lenny Wilkens.

"He's so athletic and such a good rebounder," Wilkens said. "The first year in the league, you have to find out what it's all about. This year, he knows the league better. He knows who he is going against better."

And Howard knows himself better, too.

"I'm trying to think the game better as well as doing all the physical things I can to help the team," he said. "It's been fun so far."