View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Nightly News - Live from Dallas with Brian Williams

I saw the piece, but I'm not sure I understand the complaint.

That the reporting was inaccurate? Unflattering? Unfair? Already widely reported? Cliché?

I thought the segment with the man who was offended by the campaign sign that called Bush a "bible totin' liar" was actually interesting. Regardless of whether a person in another part of the country found the gentleman's taking of offense justified or not, my impression was the he seemed sincerely hurt. At the very lest, that segment put a human face on the effects of nasty, partisan electoral name-calling, and might make people consider how divisive that kind of thing can be.

Last year, I lent a copy of the DVD "Hand on a Hard Body" to some friends of mine here in the Northeast, who don't really have a lot of firsthand experience with Texans, or the culture of Evangellicals as was depicted in that documentary.

They actually liked (and understood) the film, and remarked that while the way of thinking of some of the more religiously observant people in the film seemed foreign to their experience, that they could still identify with the people in the film, and could see the essential goodness in many of the contest participants even though their character was coming out of a markedly different culture.

They found the film so interesting that they kept it for an entire year, watching it several times with other friends and acquaintances, and since the election, they have remarked that they felt like it gave them some insights into how people who lived in another part of the country and who in all probability strongly supported Bush viewed the world.

IMO, Williams'/NBC's piece last night might have done something similar, albeit on a much smaller scale.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote