View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 01:50 AM   #104
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dallas Mavericks vs. New Jersey Nets Gameday Thread

Mavs down the Nets, 98-93

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Dirk Nowitzki had another ankle moment in the first half Saturday night, but this one wasn't like some of his other scares.

Hardly anybody noticed when he gingerly left the court to have X-rays, which showed no damage except for that which Nowitzki would inflict on the New Jersey Nets after halftime.

"He could go out there on two broken ankles and still shoot the ball," said Jerry Stackhouse.

Nowitzki scored 16 of his 26 points after the break while walking on eggshells as the Mavericks snapped a two-game losing streak with a 98-93 victory over the Nets at American Airlines Center. To say the least, the game lacked artistry as the teams struggled to score for three quarters before a free throw contest broke out.

The only thing Nowitzki didn't do was please the fans at the end. He finished the game with 9,998 points for his career. His first basket Tuesday against Washington will make him the fifth Maverick in franchise history to reach 10,000.

Don Nelson took Nowitzki out in the final minutes, a move that was met by some boos.

"I didn't even know if he'd be able to go in the second half," Nelson said. "I know the fans wanted him to get to 10,000. But I didn't want him risking further injury."

Said Nowitzki: "I had no idea about the milestone. I thought, 'Why are they booing me?' "

The Mavericks survived the Nets with balance. Stackhouse had 20 points and 10 rebounds, and Michael Finley and Jason Terry sparked an 18-3 blitz in the middle of the fourth that turned a one-point deficit into an 85-71 lead.