View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #12
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:The First Strike

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Mavdog - North Korea announcing they have "nukes" (unsubstantiated) isn't leverage or menacing in the least. It is a pathetic attempt at a powerplay with the world's only superpower. Its a bluff, a ruse, a joke - anything but a real threat.
I don't believe that the rest of the world, and especially those in South Korea and Japan, share your view. The situation in North Korea is the most threatening situation that exists in the world...much more threatening that Hussein was BTW. As you are a fervent supporter of the Iraq War, the contradiction in your position is striking.

Quote:
They actually think they can blackmail Bush like they did Clinton. Like a petulent child, the longer we ignore them the better - they will cry themselves to sleep.
or they will redouble their efforts to develop the bombs and delivery systems, and selling them to anybody who has the money. Not a very pretty scenario.

Frankly we cannot take the risk and "ignore them".

As for the "blackmail" assertion, I find it very difficult to characterize a few hundred million $ in economic assistance (primarily fuel) as "blackmail". If you want something done typically there is a price. IMO this was a cheap amount to pay for the removal of nuclear weapons from the Korean peninsula.

Quote:
They won't fire their missles and they won't sell them to terrorists. Just cause were not talking to them doesn't mean we aren't closly monitoring the situation.
I'm sure that you would be willing to bet your life on this. Those who live in South Korea and Japan are risking theirs with the sort of approach you advocate.

Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote