View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #15
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts
Default RE:The evil plan of republicans for social security

Well, here is the problem as I see it..Investing in the stock market is a good idea in the long run- I will agree with that..History proves it. The problem comes with being able to opt in or out of the private account at any time. Certainly, private accounts will dump lots of money into the stock market in the beginning. This will boost the economy as stock prices rise from increased demand. The question is: What will happen if there is a recession? It is conceivable that when an economic slowdown starts, savvy individuals will realize that it might be better to opt back into the classic Social Security system, instead of adding more money to a loosing market. This will shock the market in my opinion; as fewer funds are added in and stock prices drop even further because of decreased demand. This may well exaggerate a depression, or create a bigger bubble when the markets are on the rise. Greater participation in the stock market game could change its dynamics. I still say it is a very dangerous thought if the majority of people think this is a "cant lose" prop- there is NO such thing...