View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: When should this move had been made?

There's nothing perfect about waiting until 19 games left to enact a coaching change. I haven't really commented about Nellie's quitting, because its been alot of information to absorb, and I knew that we would likely get the whole picture in bits and pieces. Well, this is the conclusion I've come to:

Given that Nellie had admittedly not enjoyed coaching the team anymore, I'm glad he didn't hold out any longer and finish the season. I really do think he had the team's interest in mind when he decided to go ahead and step aside and let Avery be the One Voice. However, I think he was also being opportunistic. Nellie's quitting has NOTHING to do with team slippage. Its a long season - ALL TEAMS HAVE SLIPPAGE. It annoyed me a bit to hear him shift a bit of the blame on the team, when in fact Nellie's most likely been waiting for the right opportunity to leave.

If the team wasn't responding to him as well, maybe its because his own emotional indifference was rubbing off on them.

It would have been MUCH more beneficial to the team if he had decided to do this earlier in the season. If Avery had a larger part of the season to install his "adjustments", how could that have been anything BUT beneficial to the team?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote