Thread: Dirk vs Bird...
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 02:13 PM   #27
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:Dirk vs Bird...

To compare them, both are pretty good offensively but Bird was much better, in the defense, passing and steals categories. I'm not sure if but I think a major reason Bird turned out so "tough" is because he had a foil in Magic Johnson. Hopefully, Dirk will see his foil in Duncan or KG. To be the best, Dirk needs to beat Duncan and KG to be regarded the best in his position. Sometimes, the word "great" is overused. There are a lot of good players but there are only a few great players. For now, any Bird-Dirk comparisons are just "homerisms" to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
Read the end of my last post i agree comparisons ALWAYS end up wrong one way or the other. Either the new player doesnt deserve it or if its warranted they become the first whoever they are. Ok what do these players have in common Big O Elgin Baylor Barkley(though i hate him) Stockton Malone. None led there team to a title. oscar won one but didnt lead his team. Kareem did. My point is if oscar hadnt won the one title at the end was he not great he is still the best pg ever in most peoples opinion. The others are all in the top 50 all time. But according to you they are not great? There are many other players that I would say are great that havent won a title. So in your opinion the only great players in the nba now are duncan Shaq as they are the only players in the nba to Lead their team to a title. no one player led the pistons last year. I just think your standards for great are a bit high. Which i agree is better than the standards for great being too low ie people calling pierce or people of that ilk great but come on winning a title isnt the only thing that makes you great. We r on a message board though so there is really nothing else ot do but discuss hopefully not just argue. I honestly respect your opinion and as I have said I am 19 so didnt see all of birds career but i have seen alot of his games and i think he was incredible but I just dont think that he was alot better than dirk if any.