View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #30
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default RE:Who plays online poker?

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I think folding the eights was probably the most impressive play. Seems that you were really playing the tournament as a whole as opposed to playing that one specific hand. Very impressive laydown.

It sure took some stones to push the AQ on the bubble. I don't know what the blinds or stack sizes were there, but I'm guessing that being left with 8K wouldn't have been comfortable. Were you praying he didn't have AK, or were you pretty sure you were ahead based on his weak lead? Was the board coordinated, and you were trying to take it down right there? Or did you kinda expect a call from a hand you likely beat, trying to represent a bluff?

I would have been tempted to go on FULL tilt when my flopped straight got counterfeited like that. I would have been mad enough just to split the pot, but to lose it would have been infuriating. Weird hand, though. When he smoothcalls your preflop raise and then calls your flop check-minraise, what do you put him on? What do you think he puts you on? He played the hand really weird. He pretty much had to call the small turn bet with his double-gutter, I would think (though a push would have been more in line with the way he was playing his hand so far). But why in the world would he check behind on the river? If he thought you were that likely to have QK, then he damn sure should have set you in on the turn. Just a weird, weird play. I don't know what the stack sizes were at that point, but I'm sure you would have had to call a bet on the river--and I'm equally sure that he wouldn't have minded a raise.

Anyway, great read. And congrats again!
Re 88: I would have been left with a decent enough amount of chips if I folded, but if I called the all-in and lost, I would have been in dangerous position. Turns out that the raiser had AJ (I had thought about just calling him) but when the blind cold-called two raises, I figured he had me beat. He had 44. Eights would have been good, but I still think I made the right play. I ended up taking a bunch of chips from the guy who called with 44 (later identified as Stealer in notes), mainly based on my thinking that if he's calling with 44 there, he doesn't quite know what he's doing.

The AQ play: I had been relatively tight, but aggressive once I got in hands, whether or not I made the hand or not. The villain seemed pretty solid. After the flop, his lead seemed more like a defensive bet. Also, he could have been raising preflop with any ace just to steal the blinds (as they were pretty big at that point.) So, I decided that my hand was probably good, and on the chance it wasn't, playing the table bully right before the money might cause him to fold so he could limp into cashing. I guess he thought I was being a table bully, but I actually had a pretty good hand, and that took him out.

My counterfeited straight: Frankly, I have no idea what happened there. I played the flop poorly, but if I were the villain, I'm probably not calling a min-check-raise with just overcards. That usually seems like a big hand. The fact that he checked behind (he had position) on the river when he held a queen is baffling. Whatever.

I did get a few dream flops, but the only one I really got paid off on was the straight, but boy was that huge. I didn't include a hand when it was down to 3 and I was shortstacked. I was in the BB with 59d and got to see a flop. Two diamonds, and I lead out about 1/2 the pot. Chip leader calls. Turn is a blank. I bet about 2/3 of the pot (leaving me with roughly 40k) and he folds after using almost all his time. Definitely a huge hand. If I had been called on the turn and blanked the river (or been set all-in on the turn) there's no way I'm winning the tourney.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote