View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 PM   #20
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:TX House bans gay foster parents

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that society has the right to determine what is and is not acceptable. If they do so that doesn't necessarily make them bigots. Homosexuality is not a normal act by definition.
It's not the "determining what is and is not acceptable" that makes members of a society bigots; rather, it is the "obstinate, intolerant, irrational belief in the correctness of their own opinions and prejudices, and the attempts to impose such beliefs on other members of society who do not share them" that pretty much dictionary-defines them as such. Your assertion that homosexuality is not, by definition, a normal act is in opposition to the collective opinion of psychiatric and mental health professionals, whose metier it is to define such "normalcy".
This is what I don't get. It is not "normal" in the sense that it is not genetically or biologically "normal". Is this not true? Is it your contention that there is no biological element to sex? I don't know if it is "normal" mentally or not. The mainstream culture (but not the majority of the citizens) seems to have decided that homosexuality is as normal and unavoidable as baldness. I am not convinced of this fact. I understand people being attracted to the same sex as I understand people being attracted to S&M and other sexual practices, but imo, that is not necessarily normal.

Quote:
Society in general should be tolerant of the private affairs of people, but I see no reason that society must automatically condone those affairs. Nor do I think it is a wise course to pretend that homosexuality is a normal practice and therefore all young boys and girls either "should" be encouraged or placed in a situation where they might be.
You seem to equate "condoing those affairs" with affording equal protection under the law, or refusing to deny equal rights. That understanding of "condone" is particular to you, and both your choice of language and your obstinate, intolerant, irrational attitude toward homosexuality (which by your own acknowledgement you have very limited first-hand familiarity with other than occasional forays onto the NMBLA website) reveals much.[/quote]

Hmmm... I don't remember recounting my "first-hand" familiarity of homosexuality. I've never engaged in it, what constitutes first-hand familiarity? I do not have personal homosexual friends, I have worked with homosexuals and not felt either threatened or bothered by it. But to be honest they were discreet people, much like most people are discreet about their sex lives.

I understand that you feel I have an obstinate, intolerent, irrational attitude towards homosexuality, but the only way I can NOT have this attitude in your opinion would be if I unequivically accept all homosexuality as just as normal as red hair. Your attitude quite frankly does not allow another opinion, it's your way or the bigot way. Any restrictions on homosexual behaviour in your opinion is bigoted, period.

Well here is pretty much my attitude towards homosexuality.
- Should a homosexual be refused a job, housing, etc. No, I dont' think so and I wouldn't do so. But should a person on the other hand be forced by law to rent a room to a homosexual if they were disturbed by it, No, I don't think so either.
- Should I have a class in school teaching how homosexuals are normal and mainstream. No, I do not think so.
- Should someone who believes that homsexuality be wrong be forced to allow their children to be in a situation where they feel their child can be influenced by that homosexual. No
- Do I really care if someone is homosexual. No. I have worked with, hired and fired colleagues who were homosexual. I really don't care personally, but I'm an adult.
- But I do not consider it a normal act, nor a normal lifestyle. I certainly do not see my sexuality as a protected constitutional right.

Is it sad that a person who is homosexual does not enjoy the open-ness and acceptance of all of our society. Yes it is sad, but as their lifestyle is pretty much on the fringe of society, then I don't see that changing, nor necessarily should society accept homosexuality as the norm just for accomodation.

Quote:
What you seem to oppose (fear?) most is that parent-less, family-less young boys and girls being provided a loving, caring, nuturing upbringing in a foster home would develop the seemingly foreign concepts of tolerance and open-mindedness by seeing that gay or lesbian parents could be just as loving, caring, nurturing and "normal" as any others.

Would you also oppose the placement of foster children in a home with heterosexual parents who did not share your views on homosexuality? On religion? On politics? Your answers to these questions will define you in a way that I don't have to.
What I oppose (fear?) is that an impressionable person (a child in this case) will be unduly infuenced and confused about their sexuality because they are living in a family that is (imo) also confused about their sexuality, thereby causing them distress in the future. I also oppose (fear?) society making the homosexual lifestyle seem to be normal, cool, something to do... I have the same issue with society making rap, sex, drugs normal, cool and something to do.

I do not equate homosexuality with religion, politics. You do I imagine. I equate homosexuality as an out of the mainstream lifestyle.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote