View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 12:51 AM   #538
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Official Game 6 thread: Dallas @ Houston

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000 You used the term All World player, well how much do you have to do to get an All World player to shoot 50% in a game? In my mind an All World player destroys one on one coverage and carves the defense up when they try to double him. I also think he's all world, but he's not playing like it. The NFL is a coaches league…the NBA is a players league. Winning in the playoffs is usually about your star players raising their games to another level. Like Doug Collins said a couple of games ago “great players make adjustments useless”
D2K, this is what worries me. I worry that you are exactly right, that the NBA is a players league, and that Dirk Nowitzki was a product of Nellie's mad schemery. Who else wanted him in the draft? (Besides Pitino, and where is he now?) Who else would have commited so many resources to developing him like Nellie did? I worry that Drik is a coach's player in a player's league. I worry that he thrived in a system that Nellie built expressly for him, and that he looks ordinary--which is to say, and this is the important point--defendable, in a conventional setup.

I've seen what Dirk Nowitzki has to offer. I've seen his strengths, and--all too lately--I've seen his weaknesses. I'm inclined to want a coach that can make the fullest use of what he brings to the court.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote