View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 11:24 AM   #108
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Star Wars: Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
For me, the performance of Palpatine (along with the incredible CGI) was about the only thing that made this movie half way palatable.

I'm not convinced it was the crappy dialogue that brought the actors down (however, bad actors certainly make bad dialogue even worse). Star Wars dialgoue has never been that great (although I think "New Hope" won a screenplay oscar), but the original cast was waaaayyy more enchanting than the newbies. There's hasn't been a single human performance in the new trilogy that comes close to matching the brilliance of Harrison Ford - with perhaps the exception of Sen. Palpatine, as noted above.
Unfortunately, now that Lucas has the budget to create all the effects he wanted to have in Ep. 4 to 6, he forgot why those first 3 movies worked. We actually cared about the characters. He tried to do that by force, by inserting characters from the earlier movies into these 3 movies. The result was:

1) R2D2 flying around with side-rocket propulsiong
2) C3PO piloting ships and showing up in Tatooine with no plating.
3) Chewbaca giving Yoda piggy-back rides
4) Bobba Fett needing a foster home

I'm surprised we didn't see Han Solo stealing milk money on behalf of the local bully Jabba.

Having said all that, Ep. 3 was still the third best movie of the Sextology behind Ep. 4 and 5. It had it's faults, but it also did what it needed to do which was entertain the audience and tie it into the first 3 movies.

kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote