Thread: Kelvin Cato
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kelvin Cato

Quote:
GMC - I can see why you'd be hesitant to give up Marquis, but I think any time you can move a 6'6" SG who's not even starting for you and won't next year and get a quality 4/5 who could give you 20-30 mpg and lock down the middle of your D, you do it without blinking.
A lot of my reservations come from asset management considerations. When I look at the roster that results from doing that trade, and look in the free agent market at the SG's and SF's and even third string points that would be available for the MLE or under I can definitely see value in making the deal. I just tend to think that Marquis' value (and level of play) will rebound next year so rushing to get him out of here when a little patience might bring better returns, either in terms of his contributions on the court or in a trade, could be a mistake. Also, Stack's value is almost certainly higher than Marquis', and doesn't really have any more growth potential, and if the team could find a Stack trade that brought a better return, and then complemented that move with the kind of SG/SF signing they would've looked to make to replace Quis, that would probably be my preferred course. All extremely hypothetical, or course, and if this were in fact the best deal the Mavs could find I'd probably be on board with it - the team would be better for it.