Thread: Kelvin Cato
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 10:39 PM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Kelvin Cato

Quote:
Just curious which non-first choice type guys (ie., not Gad, who seems to be at or near the top of most people's list of remotely realistic names) you'd consider good enough fits to prefer signing them using some portion of the MLE instead of making this trade.
This, to me, is the obvious question. Can you get a backup center you're happy with for the MLE? If so, you probably keep everybody you have except for Armstrong and Henderson and just add the backup center. If not, you probably trade either Stackhouse or Daniels in a package for a backup center and then look to replace Stackhouse and Daniels with some portion of the MLE. I personally think the list of available FA shooting guards is deeper, which means it might be easier to try and trade for a center and then pick up a FA shooting guard.

As far as guys I think would be good enough fits, I really don't see many on the FA list that are both a) likely to accept the MLE in Dallas and b) good enough to fill the role. I looked at the list before posting, though, and I have to admit that other than obvious guys like Kwame Brown, Dan Gadzuric, and Sam Dalembert (all of which are restricted FAs and would likely require a sign-and-trade even if their teams didn't choose to keep them), the main name that really sticks out to me is Dikembe Mutombo. I bet he'll re-sign in Houston, but he'd be a GREAT fit as backup center in Dallas.

Quote:
Say for example Chris Andersen (who I'm assuming will opt out of the final year and will almost certainly be available for a portion of the MLE). Would you rather have him and Daniels or Cato?
I'm not really high on Chris Andersen. It's easy to put up decent looking numbers on a bad team. So I'd probably rather have Cato.

Quote:
Or what about a guy like Reggie Evans, who's pretty undersized for the 5 and doesn't provide any shotblocking?
I actually really like Reggie Evans, but I think that bringing him in to be the backup center would be roughly equivalent to bringing Danny Fortson back to be the backup center. In other words, I'm not high on that idea, either.