View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Waiving Finley....addition by subtraction

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
We have productive players with short contracts (KVH, Stack and Terry) and young players with growth potential (Harris, Howard, Daniels).
Dirno if we trade KVH, Stack or Terry we'll have to take on some ugly contracts. I just can't see Cuban doing that after what's happened with Fin and Nash over the last year. I can't see us trading Harris or Howard and getting equal value because they're paid so cheaply. But I agree that Daniels could be trade bait. Only problem there is that by releasing Fin we've rid ourselve of any depth at the 2/3 position. So I see the Mavs in a very tight bind when it comes to making trades unless Cuban changes his penney pinching ways.
That's kinda what I was thinking. To expand on it a little bit...

I can't see Harris being traded in anything more than a lateral move. He is definitely not a luxury.

Same with Howard. That kid ain't going anywhere.

Daniels would be a possibility, yes. But as it stands now, assuming Fin is sent packing, again I can't imagine anything more than a lateral move. Things are going to look a little shaky if we get down to one shooting guard in the rotation. (Oh, and I take with a grain of salt Donnie's comments about draft night. Yeah, some team may have been willing to give their second-round pick for Daniels. That doesn't necessarily mean he's got significant trade value if we are talking about player-for-player.)

I'm not convinced Stack would garner a lot of interest on the open market. Last year it was him plus the number five plus spare parts for a max contract guy. He ain't getting any younger, either. Again, I kinda doubt that he could be moved in a deal that makes the team significantly better.

Terry...meh. Maybe.

The KVH is the interesting one. I've got this theory--I haven't given it a lot of thought just yet, but I'm tossing it around--that these expiring contracts are getting less and less valuable by the year. I expect that whatever player movement results from the waiver clause in the new CBA will have an impact here. Heck, the whole new CBA will, too. As I said, I haven't explored it in depth, but I don't know if there is going to be much of a market for guys like KVH, either this summer or at the deadline.

I just think the days are gone when the Mavs had a stack full of chips to deal with. These days we desperately need most of the ones we've got. And whatever we decide we can part with, probably other teams can offer better.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote