View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 03:39 AM   #20
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE: Mavs looking into trading Finley to East (DMN)

Madape wrote on Monday August 23, 2004 2:19 PM (NEW!)

I'm starting to get the feeling that this is the year it all falls apart. We have never seen this much change. The departure of Nash is going to have a major, major effect on how we perform... on both sides of the ball. It's going to be a compleltely different looking team out there. Our success depends on how well the team adjusts. That means both the players AND the coach.

I'm worried that Don Nelson has not given the team approval on any of this summer's moves. I think he's upset that Nash wasn't resigned, and that Nash's money was for the most part spent on Erick Dampier, a player he is reportedly not a fan of. This is no longer "his" team or "his" vision.

If we start off slow, I forsee a great deal of internal struggle.

The biggest struggle will be Nelson and Mark Cuban. It is becoming clear that they are not on the same page in regards to how this team should be structured. Nelson may try to make this team "fit" into what he needs. He will try to play lineups that produce what he wants to see. This may mean going with a more athletic team, and that means no Dampier, no Bradley, no center. If given an ultimatum, I think he may quit. The alternative is that he mails it in. You can rest assured that if he mails it in this year, he's fired. If that happens, he takes the whole staff with him... Donnie, Del Harris, everyone. In either case, it's hard for players to execute for a franchise without any clear sense of direction.

If that happens, you can expect this team to be in the lottery next year. I just can't see the old players reacting well to a completley new staff brought on in mid-season. I certainly can't see the new players coming learning a new system twice and being successful. If Nelson is fired, this team is dead. At least for a couple of years.

If I were to guess, I'd say that would be the most likely scenario. Much more likely than the overly optimistic NBA championship predictions.

I fear this is going to be a dark, dark year for the Mavericks. We have to pray that the team hasn't disintegrated by year end.

Yeah, Madape is always right with his predictions. What a tool.