View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pat Riley to coach Heat? Van Gundy hasn't heard

Riley to coach Heat? Van Gundy hasn't heard

ESPN.com news services

With no commitment from Pat Riley -- and no emphatic, public denials -- speculation continues to mount that the team's president will take the reins from Stan Van Gundy and coach the Miami Heat next season.

"Pat Riley has indicated to Stan Van Gundy in reports I have received that he intends to return as coach of the Heat," ESPN analyst Dr. Jack Ramsay told the network on air Thursday. "I don't know where this leaves Stan Van Gundy, but I'm pretty certain that Riley will return as coach."

Ramsay, a Hall of Fame coach and a former TV analyst for the Heat, indicated the coaching change is expected in the next week or two.

"I haven't heard anything," Van Gundy told the Miami Herald for Friday's editions, declining further comment. Van Gundy, who has two years remaining on his contract, said recently he would work for the Heat only as their head coach.

Ramsay said he spoke with Riley during the NBA playoffs, and Riley indicated that he missed the rush of coaching. Although Shaquille O'Neal reportedly was unhappy at not getting the ball in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Pistons, there has been no sign that Heat players have pushed for Van Gundy's ouster; in fact, according to the Herald, several players have privately expressed that Van Gundy remain coach.

In eight seasons as the Heat's coach, Riley's teams were 354-270 in the regular season and 18-25 in the playoffs. Riley won four championships with the Lakers and also coached the Knicks before joining the Heat in 1995.

Owner Micky Arison is not believed to have asked Riley to resume coaching the team, a high-ranking team official told the Herald.

ESPN.com Link