View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #22
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Dump Fin on the Hawks

Mavsfanfinley,

Yes if someone wants Benga right now it costs them an unprotected 1st rounder. He has not become this yet, but he has the ability to be a bigger version of Ben Wallace and you don't give up that potential. Also, I did not mean for the 1st rounder to be included unless they asked for one of our bigs.

As for Harrington, he is not wanted or needed there(i.e. Williams). They are going to package him in some form or fashion and if it helped them secure their starting PG, then yes I think they would gladly give him up.

As for why Atlanta would do this it goes to what chum is refering to. If they don't sign a big free agent for big money, they are going to have a fun time just getting to the minimum payroll which I'm assuming will be higher than in years past so let's say it is 37mil. They are currently sitting on about 20mil in salaries. Now you can sign a ton of mid-level reject players or you could take on 1 bad contract to get you there, play all the youth and when you have to start giving them extensions, his contract goes off the books, or you do some trades to get more picks and so forth as you move him to a contender. They could do this by taking Penny Hardaway for instance, but they could not get their starting PG to go with all this good young talent, and with us they could. If they wanted to get their center of the future in Benga, then they would have to give up next years pick. It is that simple. For a team like atlanta to all of the sudden fill all thier starting spots with players 24 and younger for the price of 1 pick and Fins Salary that they have to spend anyways makes a lot of sense but only if JJ is back in Phoenix.

Chicago did the exact same thing by taking on Antonio Davis's contract while their young guys matured. They are the model that Atlanta wants to use for the most part but they hoped to use JJ's big contract instead of a vet like Fins. Chicago might still do the trade with us for Davis/Pike to get Fin based on how good their team was last year. Also the money is not that bad for Chicago to do it. They are 3 years from extending the next waive of young guys and they are going to have to spend a lot of money to get to the minimum, alsoif they were willing to give Fin full MLE type money for 3 years then that is equal to one of Fins years right there. Davis money plus the 17mil they would pay him if we let him walk gets you 2 years of money they would have paid anyways. Then he is in his last year and as we have seen anything can happen then.

These scenarios are out there, and they are not that far feteched. You just have to wait and see where people are. For instance you see Cleveland all of the sudden up against it with just 3.5 of cap space left. That means to get what they want they might have to do a trade and we have everything they want (especially a starting PG) but to trade with us they would have to give up a lot.

Anyways, I think the mav's are waiting for one of these things to come to fruition. Because of so many variables, I don't see them just waiving Fin, but they might be that stupid. Donnie needs to earn that big money he is getting paid.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote