View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

That 53-yard field goal by Longwell just now, in the conditions, was greatness. Thank God ESPN is whetting my appetite. Who doesn't like a game at Lambeau Field, even if it is the preseason opener.

I can't even BEGIN to tell you how excited I am about Saturday night's game in Arizona. Roll on, football season. Roll on.

I've got the 'Boys for ten wins (secretly, I am holding out hope for eleven). You?

Things to watch for Saturday night:

How does Keith Davis perform as the starting free safety?

Will Terrence Newman bring a punt back?

Will either Tyson Thompson or Woody Danzler or Zuriel Smith do something on kick returns?

Who starts at right tackle? I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect that by the time it's said and done, Pettiti will fill this role.

Who stands out at receiver? Today Parcells said that even the third receiver spot is not set in stone. Could Crayton beat out Morgan for this job? Can Copper make enough plays on special teams to nail down a spot? Don't worry about Johnson or Glenn. Both are poised for excellent seasons, if they don't get injured.

What does Henson show in game conditions? Romo? Word is that Parcells has some interest in Testaverde for the backup job. Makes a lot of sense to me. But even though Romo appears to have some of that intangible moxie, don't look for Henson to be making an exit anytime soon. Parcells is notoriously tough on young QB's who he thinks have talent. Witness the young Phil Simms in New York, who rode the pine for quite a while before he found the field. But don't dismiss Romo, either. Parcells once believed in Ray Lucas when no one else would have, and it served him well. The third quarterback spot will be one of the most interesting battles of the preseason. I'll be more than surprised if Testaverde isn't wearing a helmet with a star on it next year.

Will Justin Beriault be the next Bill Bates? He probably needs to make some plays in preseason, much like Lynn Scott did a couple years ago, particularly in the Oakland game. He tackled a ton in college, but will that translate to the NFL?

This should be an entertaining preseason, with at least two starting spots up for grabs and several roster spots hinging on special teams play. As I said, I can't wait for Saturday.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote