View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #29
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Putting some needs together...and netting Pierce

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I don't think Boston is a payroll-cutting mode. They're doing okay right now. You must bear in mind that Ainge is apparently feverishly working toward building a team with a great deal of potential, and the birdsanctuary correctly points out that he needs a PG to comfortably do that. I have long believed that Harris is a valuable enough chip to make a point-guard-starved team bite. Where else you gonna get a young PG with that much potential?
As you said, Ainge is building a team with great potential, so by that logic, Harris would probably be more appealing to them than Terry. Although, Terry is a quality point now, so they might want him instead.

Quote:
There is an excellent match to be made here, but only if Pierce does not command a better deal in the trade market. But think about it: who is willing to give up a blue-chip 1 or 5 for Paul Pierce? Memphis would desperately love to have him, but they have neither commodity. Other bluechippers aren't going anywhere. I really do think that the Mavs would part with Harris if it would help their team in the short run. This is a match made in heaven.
I agree. If Boston does shop Pierce, then I'd say we have a better chance than any at landing him, because we have pieces that fit their needs; a young point with tremendous potential, a couple of big expirers, and a two prospect centers. However, it's simply a matter of whether Boston will trade him or not. Ainge will probably just hold on to him for now to keep the team moderately competitive until the youngsters can take over. However, it seems very clear that Pierce is unhappy in Boston and has no desire to spend the rest of his career there. But it is as you say, a match made in heaven. We have exactly what they need, and on top of that, we need the one thing they're desperately trying to get rid of, a backup center (Blount or LaFrentz, probably Blount). Really, the vast majority of NBA trades make less sense than this one. This one is beneficial to both teams, fits both team's needs... It's just a question of whether Ainge is willing to let the Celtics tank for a couple of seasons before the youngsters can carry the team. Either way, that team isn't going to contend for at least a few years, when Pierce will be past his prime.

EDIT: Denver could also be our competition for Pierce. They need a 2 and might give up Miller and Nene for him. I'm sure Boston would love to Nene. Miller's not young, but he's a damn good PG, certainly a much better option than Payton. He's also a vet that could be valuble to them. Not sure if the Nuggets would be willing to take Blount or Raef though.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote