View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #29
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Fin In Indy? Our Theory: Mavs-Pacers Will Deal

IF Indiana is interested in obtaining Finley (I say IF, because I don't know) and they don't want to give up Pollard, there seems to be a rather obvious solution.

I've read all of the following in the last week or so:

1. Dale Davis is interested in coming to Dallas;
2. Dale Davis wants a salary starting out at more than the MLE; and
3. Donnie Nelson said they were interested in Dale Davis but couldn't afford him (because he wants more than the MLE).

Looking around the league, it seems to me that if Davis wants to play for a contender AND earn more than the MLE, his options are pretty limited. Indiana has non-Bird rights on him and can offer him 120% of last year's salary, which was around $10 million if I remember correctly.

So, let's say Dallas gives Davis a 2 year deal starting out at $6 million per with a 10.5% raise. That's 2 years, $12.63 million. A D. Davis/A. Johnson/R. Miller package would cost Cuban a total of $57.2 million or so over 3 years, meaning he'd save around $46.4 million. Not quite as much as the $51.8 million he saves by simply waiving Finley, but it allows him to add a legit veteran backup center and a third PG in exchange for Finley. Even if you had to pay Davis a 2 year deal starting at $7 million per, Cuban saves $44.3 million.

Dampier - Davis - M'Benga
Nowitzki - KVH
Howard - Daniels
Stackhouse - Christie
Terry - Harris - A. Johnson

NBDL: Pavel, Powell
Inactive: Marshall

That has the makings of a very good defensive team.

My two cents.