View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #95
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: If Bush was a Strong, decisive leader, we wouldnt see stories like this one!!!!but..of course he is not....

Well, I thought "culture" was what we were discussing.

Race seemed awefully relevant a couple of posts ago when you were deeming the U.S. an "Anglo-Protestant" society.

It really is stunning to hear someone say they don't believe african-americans have had much of an impact on the shaping of American culture (dang, every heard of Rock N Roll?)

In regards to racism - do you not believe it exists, or are you just saying that it is no longer being institutionalized? There is a big difference my friend. As someone who has lived in Texas for thirty years, I assure you that racism is alive and well in the hearts of many. As long as that is true, those windows of opportunity are not quite as wide open as you seem to think that they are.

To swing this topic back around to New Orleans - I think race is relevant in many aspects. I don't think its relevant in terms of disaster response from FEMA, or the State, or the Feds. I honestly believe they would have fucked that up no matter what.

However, when I overhear a business man say to another "Are those niggers still on tv trying to get something else from the federal government?", I assure you their thoughts and ideas concerning the Hurricane vicitims are less than philathropic, and I seriously doubt either one of them give two shits about providing minorities with equal opportunity. Do you think race is relevant for these to guys (who are both business OWNERS, btw).

I've lived in Texas thirty years (ok, I'm 30)...mostly in the rural Southeast, and unfortunately the sentiments stated by the two assholes above, are not foreign to my ears - by any means.

Or how about this story...a caucasian woman was writing on a message board the other day about her experience at Reunion Arena. She tried to give to black gentlemen a ride to the bus stop, but they refused. Immediately after their refusal, a black woman offered them a ride, and they accepted. Even when people are completely destitute, race still was relevant.

Dear lord, I don't even want to get into my own experiences right now. But trust me, race is relevant. And if its relevant in our culture, then it is also relevant in our job markets, our courts, the media...etc.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote