View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #45
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:John Kerry's Katrina Speech

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I'd like to know how professorial treatment (as you put it) raises the costs of education.
from my experience, the tenured professors are not asked to carry a heavy work load.

for example, my bro and sis in law are both profs at a major university. they teach (on avg) three classes a semester, or a total of 12 hours of classroom time a week, plus about 3 to 6 hours of office time, that equals a total time of less than 20 hours/week. if they have taught the course before, they don't have to develop the course but fine tune it.

when bro had a year sabbatical, no classes were taught, and he spent his time writing a textbook. who rec the money for the textbook? he did, not the school.

the question was asked of why the cost of college is increasing greater than the rate of inflation.

dude speculates it is due to the ease of access, hence in his view it is demand driven.

my speculation is the system is inefficient, there is under-utilization of the talent pool.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote