View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #81
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:John Kerry's Katrina Speech

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I have a full time staff member who does NOTHING but asbestos abatement and remediation. Once again mavdog shows he knows jackshit.
hmm, so what you are saying is the buildings of Baylor are chock full of asbestos, and the school is aware? sure hope its not friable or it's lawsuit city.
Who, exactly, is going to sue them?
anybody who is exposed. asbestosis is a nasty condition.

Quote:
It seems that AHERA, the EPA regs I mentioned from the 80's, only applies to elementary and secondary schools, but any college that here in 2005 still has asbestos in their buildings certainly can't be included in the "smart" category.
As dalmations pointed out, there are many schools who have to do asbestos abatement and remediation in stages because of the cost. I'll let Doc speak to that, but I'm sure that's the case at Baylor. It really has nothing to do with whether or not they are "smart".[/quote]

The schools should look to the Asbestos School Hazard Abatement Act (ASHAA) that establ;ished an Asbestos Truust Fund that give loans to schools as well compensation to those injured by asbestos. I cannot understand how any school would not have used the federal funds available to do any abatement. It could very well be that the school (as required by AHERA) did a survey, the results found asbestos yet it was not friable, and therefore abatement was not immediately mandated and the asbestos was encapsulated (which is allowed). Now they could want to remove it and they are doing it in stages. However, there are federal dollars available to get the job completed if the local school lacks the money. it would be "smart" to get it done.

Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote