View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 02:47 AM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Did anybody else see that???

Different umpires do different things. Personally I look for dirt because if the ball hits the ground it usually makes at least a little dirt move. The correct signal is what he started to do. Put your hand up for however you show strikes most point but some as he does just raise there arm. You do that and then you wait but most umpires also yell no catch if its a close play.

Above all as an umpire your job is to make sure that everyone knows exactly what you are calling. You cant have a tricky well this signals no contact and then this signals strike three and then despite the fact that i havent done it all night there is another call for out. But there is no set rule as to how you know on that play. As the third base ump you should have a clear view and you just watch. Yes I know that on plays like that you cant tell for sure but if you are appealed to immediately you go with what you saw. If not and your not certain you echo the behind the plate umps ruling. To me yes the ump screwed it up and on a replay I think he caught it clean, yes the ball changes direction but its from hitting his glove which hits the ground, but other than his indecision its not an unbelievably bad call. This is why as an ump you are told to make a ruling and stick with it. Either way if he says strongly he caught it your out, no one is complaining too much. If he says you dropped it, dropped third strike immediately or doesnt call anything, no one is complaining too much. Indecision as an ump will get you in alot of trouble because everyone knows your just guessing.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote