View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dear Lord, can we make this racist group disappear?

Quote:
I'm about at my wit's end with the silly "legislating morality" cliche.

Most laws that we pass are attempts to legislate morality. Laws against everything from murder, robbery, rape, to incest and insider trading are attempts by society to legislate morality. This would be no different.
I guess now we're getting the heart of what bothers me. Why would a proponent of this amendment bristle at the suggestion that the amendment legislates morality? It's exactly what it does, and everyone knows it, but the proponents don't want to admit it.

That's why we have to have things like the "Defense of Marriage" Act. Oh, no, no, gay people. It's not that you are immoral. It's just that we want to keep our own morals nice and intact. We aren't trying to have a "Ban on Gay Marriage" Act. That would look too much like we were meddling in your lives, or that we want to tell you to share our own morals. You don't have to share our morals if you don't want to. But we're just saying that you can't have the same rights as we do if you don't.

When the proponents of this amendment get the balls to come out and call it what it is, I'll have a whole lot more respect for them and will go so far as to consider their point of view. But as long as they are draping their own moral evangelism in titles like "Defense of Marriage" and in wording like "identical or similar to marriage," I know where to place them in my mind.

At least the left will come out and tell you that they think you are immoral.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote