View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 11:17 PM   #62
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dear Lord, can we make this racist group disappear?

Quote:
If it's simply a benefits package, then there really should be no distinction between a homosexual couple that wants to marry and a brother and sister who want to marry. Both are examples of consenting adults who want to enjoy the "rights" and "benefits" created by marriage. But marriage is NOT simply a benefits package, and I seriously doubt our society would allow such an arrangement. Do you disagree?
I never said it was a benefits package to begin with.

The reason I have the hang up about the analogy is because it fails to justify denying gay people the right to marry. You can reword it again, but it won't gain relevance simply because you've restated it using different words.

Quote:
Apples and oranges. A tattoo or body piercing is something an individual does. It has absolutely no bearing on why people have a relationship.
They're both deviant lifestyles according to society norms. I understand they are not exactly the same thing, but certainly thery are both lifestyles that are frowned upon. Why aren't we attempting to legislate other types of behavior?

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but I think it's fallacious to argue that something can't be intended to preserve the institution of marriage simply because everything that could be done isn't being done as well.
Its not fallacious if the stated intent is false to being with (or at the very least, INCREDIBLY hypocritical)

Okay, here's an metaphor of my own.

Barbara goes to a restaurant and decides she is in the mood for something sweet.

The waiter brings her some apple pie. She eats it.

The waiter brings her some peach cobbler. She happily gobbles it down.

The waiter brings her some chocolate cake. She says, "No thanks, I'm trying to watch my figure."

The waiter brings her some ice cream. She licks the bowl clean.

What's wrong this picture? According to the "preserve the institution" logic, its very reasonable to believe that Barbara did reject the chocolate cake because she's worried about her figure. I mean, just because she didn't turn down the other three desserts, doesn't mean "getting fat" isn't a good reason to reject chocolate cake. Of course, she already weighs over 300 pounds, but lets not worry about that part of the equation. Everyone accepts the fact that chocolate cake goes straight to the hips, so she must really be concerned about her figure - after all, she did in fact reject chocolate cake.

OR

Would it be more reasonable to conclude that.......Barbara just .........doesn't........ like....... chocolate cake?

(I realize all of your quotes are out of order KG...but its late, the brain has shut down, and its time to go to bed)

Dal - I read your comments earlier tonight in my office. I have some thoughts I'd like to articulate at a later time - especially concerning how society views sin (or I guess what you would refer to as a "character flaw").

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote