View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 01:06 AM   #52
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 'Genuine' Spurs welcome Finley

Lookit. Fans...are...the...life...BLOOD of a sports franchise. If they decide to defect in large margins, the franchise does suffer. So this idea that fans don't have a "vote," if you will, does not sit right with me.

I feel you on the Jimmy love. I loved him, too. But #1, Jerry didn't exactly treat him like shit. He gave him a high-profile job at a time when guys like him (college coaches) just didn't get high-profile jobs. He allowed him to run the franchise, for the most part. And when the Cowboys had success, make no mistake that Jimmy shared in it. He is still a relevant personality today because of those years. The Hurricanes years wouldn't have been enough, nor would have the Dolphins years.

When Jerry fired him, there was a backlash. A lot of the people who had come around to the Cowboys under Jones were upset about it. And yes, when Switzer won his championship, a lot of people felt he didn't deserve it.

But still and all, we are talking about two different things. Jones never sent Aikman to a contender over money, only to watch Aikman win the MVP in the next year. I'm sorry, but you can wrap that in whatever you want to wrap it in, but it is still the laughingstock that hangs on Cuban's neck.

But basketball differs from football in one very big way, which is that the individual players each have much more signifigance. When you jack with the personnel in basketball, it has very profound immediate impacts on your team. (Or weren't you watching, when a team on the brink of a title became an also-ran in the summer of '04?)

Sometimes sports fans in Dallas blow my mind. They loooooove to complain about an East Coast bias. As if their team isn't any less of a team because of where it's based. Well, you want to know something? If a New York or Philadelphia or Boston team had balked at paying an MVP pooint guard what he obviously was worth, then fans in those cities would have cried foul so loud you could hear it all the way down here.

But what do fans in Dallas do? They applaud the owner for his financial wherewithal.

Fans in Dallas get exactly what they deserve. Which is to say: owners that take advantage of their naivete, fellow fans who care more about the game presentation than about the game itself, and a media that dismisses them as second-tier.

And yet they act so wounded.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote