View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I was in San Antonio this morning, and I have to tell you first of all how grating it was for me as a die-hard Mavs fan to see a huge poster in their airport flashing three championship trophies with that "Mission Accomplished" tagline of theirs. Gah.

But the story about Friday night's game was how their bench, led by Finley and Van Exel, allowed Pop to rest Parker and Ginobli in the fourth quarter of a (somewhat) close game, in anticipation of a back-to-back. In that respect, it amuses me that they lost tonight.

As for Finley statistically, I'll just say that naturally his stats are going to suffer a bit in his new role. It's easier on starters to find their rhythm right away, coming off pregame and half-time warmups. I don't have the slightest doubt in my mind that Finley's stats would be more favorable in heavier minutes.

Fin will help the Spurs, much like he would have been able to help the Mavericks, all else being equal. But of course, those things could never be equal. Fin simply couldn't play for AJ, and that was that. And the Mavs are doing alright without him. Though wouldn't it be nice--again, all else being equal--to have him to call on if you needed him. As I used to say, I would rather have Michael Finley and not need him than need Michael Finley and not have him.

That's the luxury San Antonio now has, and that's just the way it had to be. Getting back on topic, the Spurs will be okay, this loss notwithstanding. It's shaping up to be a two-team race in the West, three if Amare comes back.

The more they change the more they stay the same, I suppose.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote