View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 10:17 AM   #22
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I'm sure it would really warm the heart of present Mavs to learn that--if the Nash scenario is any indication--the majority of fans have no use for the person, only use for his jersey.

It's a wonder the Cowboys put Emmitt in the Ring of Honor. He was a...Cardinal, for chrissakes!

Did Emmit Smith come back as a Cardinal and knock the Cowboys out of the playoffs? No. As a matter of fact, he came back to Texas Stadium and suffered a season ending injury if I recall. Both teams were shit that year and have been ever since (for the most part). No offense to Cowboy fans, but neither the Cowboys or the Cardinals have been major players in the NFL for a very long time now. Had circumstances been different and Smith not been so near the end of his career, that analagoy might work.

It was easy for Cowboy fans to embrace Smith because he was a non-factor on the one of the worst teams in the NFL. That situation is much more analogous to...Hakeem leaving the Rockets and going to Toronto...or wherever he ended up.

I like plenty of other players on other teams. I like Antawn Jamison. I like Rasheed Wallace. I like Shaq. I like Yao Ming. But do I support them? If the Wiz, Pistons, Heat and Rockets all managed to lose 82 games, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it. They don't play for my team.

We're not talking about whether or not we would have a conversation with Nash on an elevator, or whether or not we would try to save him from a burning building, or invite him over for dinner. We're talking about basketball.

Its a G-A-M-E. A bunch of guys get on a court and try to put a ball through a hoop. Remember? I'm pretty sure you made that point earlier in the week.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 12-20-2005 at 10:39 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote