View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #65
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Peja dealt for Artest
By Marty McNeal and Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writers
Published 2:59 pm PST Wednesday, January 25, 2006
NEW YORK - Indiana's Ron Artest and his agent confirmed Wednesday that he's been traded to the Kings in exchange for Peja Stojakovic.
"I'm excited, I'm very excited to be coming to the Kings," Artest told The Bee. "I feel like it's a blessing."

His agent, Mark Stevens, said the deal was sealed with both teams waiving physicals for the players.

The on-again, off-again trade completed just one day after it had publicly disintegrated when Artest balked at coming to Sacramento and the Kings brass walked away from the deal.

"Obviously, we're very happy about getting a player of (Stojakovic's) caliber," Pacers president Larry Bird said in a statement."He's one of the best shooters in the league and we definitely feel he can help us right away."

On Wednesday morning, Bird and CEO Donnie Walsh met with Artest at Indiana's Conseco Fieldhouse, reportedly to determine whether, in fact, Artest was the hurdle in keeping the teams from clearing the trade. Afterward, Artest told the Indianapolis Star that he was prepared to play for which ever team would trade for him.

"It was a good meeting," Artest said. "They said they were going to try to get something sorted out to get the trade done. There's no trade right now…. I'll go anywhere. I just want to get back on the basketball court and start playing again."

Team owners Joe and Gavin Maloof are in New York City for tonight's game against the Knicks. Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie remains in Sacramento, and has not spoken publicly since the yesterday's trade rumors erupted.

Previously, Artest has said he did not want to join the Kings. In a statement released by his agent to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith, he said Artest had no desire to play in Sacramento.

"Ron Artest did not want to be traded to Sacramento weeks ago, and he does not want to be traded to Sacramento now," the statement read.

"In order for Ron to fully demonstrate his natural skills and abilities, to the best of his abilities, he not only must be in an environment that is conducive to his growth an development as a player, he must also ensure that his family is happy and content as well. Ron does not believe that will be the case if he were in Sacramento. Period."

Meanwhile, Stojakovic's agent, David Bauman, was less than content with the treatment of his client, who discovered that he had nearly been traded while watching an ESPNews interview with Joe and Gavin Maloof on Tuesday.

"I don't know how anybody in their right mind can expect Peja to go back and play for the Kings," Bauman told the New York Times.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote