View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #41
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
That is a moot point when the team he is managing has won a championship once, played for a championship twice, and been the best defensive club in the league for 3+ years running.. not to mention they are a shoo-in to make the Finals again this year. How has he done a bad job? Drafting Darko certainly hasn't helped the club, but it very obviously hasn't hurt the club either.
I think the "he didn't help 'em, but he didn't hurt 'em" argument is pretty lame.

Maybe we're talking semantics, but the way I see it, there are no lateral moves. By allowing other teams to get better (miami/denver/toronto/dallas) he hurt his team. Pointing out the fact that they're a championship ballclub is valid, but shortsighted.

The Pistons are a shoo-in for the finals again this year... I agree. BUT what happens when they lose in the finals again? Ben Wallace and Tayshaun are gonna be wooed by outside teams this summer - they may not be back. There is a very real possibility their window will close without them winning another championship. That would be a shame. And Dumars would be partially to blame for not envigorating his already badass club with even more talent.

Billups and the Wallace boys are both 30 years old. Rip is getting up there too. Wade and Carmelo will still be impacting the league long after some of those "key" contributors have declined or retired.

"The rich get richer." - Well the Pistons didn't. Just because they aren't suffering now doesn't mean they wont regret the move a couple years down the road - it means they can rationalize the f'up easier.

To reiterate - the DEEPEST draft in years - and homeboy blew it. Yes he's made the Pistons what they are today with some great moves, but I think he's probably made the pistons what they'll be in a couple of seasons with one incredibly stupid one.