View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 01:03 AM   #110
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone comparing Dirk to Bird must keep a couple of things in perspecitve. First of all, Bird was a lot older and MUCH more experienced coming into the NBA. He had been playing basketball his entire life, and had a solid collegiate career, playing against Magic in the NCAA finals and all. Bird was 24 his rookie season. Dirk grew up playing tennis and handball, before playing only a little bit of basketball for the German national team. He was what, 19 coming into the league? Bird was a sure thing, a no brainer. Dirk, however, was a huge risk. Second, Bird, as well as Magic, went to a team that was ready to make another run for the finals. Of course, the previous year the Celtics had a horrible record, but it was mostly due to injury (most notibly, Cowens) When the Celts acquired Bird, they also brought in players like McHale, and Parish the next season.

Was Bird a better player than Dirk? Of course he was. He's Larry freaking Legend! But I don't think the gap is nearly as significant as most seem to think. In terms of overall skill, they're virtually equal. Dirk is as good a scorer and rebounder, and defender as Bird ever was. He's also MUCH more atheletic than Bird was. Bird however, was simply the greatest passing forward of all time. Other than that, their games are virtually identical. The only real difference is Birds "leadership" as well as the fact that he was great from day 1 whereas Dirk took time to develop.

But again, I emphasize how different their backgrounds are. I think things might've been a little different if Dirk came into the NBA three years ago after playing against the highest level of competition in Europe, or if he'd taken up Barkley on his offer to go Auburn and played in the NCAA for a few years. Or better yet, imagine if Larry Bird had never touched a basketball before he was 17, played in high school for a few years and came into the NBA at 19 instead of 24. And lets also imagine if Bird had never had teammates like McHale or Parish, or if Dirk DID.

Is there a gap? Of course. But I just don't know how big it is.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote