View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Johnson stays put on trades

By DWAIN PRICE
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

DALLAS - The trade deadline came and went Thursday, and not a peep was heard from the Mavericks.

The last time the Mavs negotiated a trade was a year ago today when they acquired Keith Van Horn from the Milwaukee Bucks for Alan Henderson and Calvin Booth.

"I promised this team that I would do whatever it takes to put us in position to win a championship," coach Avery Johnson said. "And if there was a move out there that would have made us better, I wouldn't have blinked.

"But there was nothing out there. At the same time, part of why nothing was out there is because I like the team."

With the Mavs being two- or three-deep at every position with quality talent and a 42-11 record (at the time of the deadline), second best in the NBA, Johnson said he didn't see a need for any trades.

"Every good team I've been on in this league really has stayed together throughout the course of the year and given themselves the ability to grow up until the playoffs," Van Horn said. "I've been on a couple of teams where they made midseason trades and it disrupts the chemistry.

"Fortunately, last year when I came in I kind of fit in with the system very well, so it was an easy transition. But it still was a risk for this team in terms of chemistry. Thankfully, it worked out and hopefully we can keep this thing going and win a championship this year."

Howard hurt

Josh Howard sat out the second half after turning his right ankle, though X-rays performed after the game were negative. Howard stepped on Keith Van Horn's foot late in the first quarter and came back briefly in the second period.

"I tried to go, but when I got in back in the game I couldn't cut," said Howard, who scored seven points in 20 minutes. "We'll see how it feels [today]."

Rested Raptors

The Toronto Raptors expect to be well rested by the time they visit the Mavs on Saturday. The Raptors played at New York on Feb. 15, rested for the All-Star break, then played at Memphis on Tuesday. After that game, the Raptors flew to Dallas and took off Wednesday.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote