Thread: KG to Dallas
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #36
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
If you haven't watched the NBA in the last 10 years, Kevin Garnett does not play like he is 220 pounds.

Furthermore, can you name those "chunky" centers that will be still prominent in this league in the next 5-10 years?
If you haven't watched the NBA in the last 10 years, Kevin Garnett typically does not play against players who weigh more than 250 lbs (with some exceptions such as TD, Brand). So whether or not he plays like he is 220 lbs. is entirely irrelevant because you are the one introducing the hypothetical situation of him playing center (in your original post). As he has never consistently played center in the league, both your points that (1) he doesn't play like he is 220 lbs., and (2) whether or not I have watched the NBA in the past 10 years (I have) are frivolous. Just food for thought, think about who covers KG from the opposing team, and think about who KG covers when he's playing defense. If we changed his defender from a PF to a C on a night-in, night-out basis (as you suggest, putting KG at C), would it force his game to change significantly? Yes. Would he be as successful as he is today? We don't know, maybe he would. Similar, but more important question, if we forced him to guard opposing big men who have a significant size and strength advantage night-in, night-out, would he be as successful as he is today? We don't know. I contend that he would not, see my previous post for reasons why.

Your next question, can I name any 'chunky' centers who will be prominent in this league for the next 5-10 years? Firstly, the term chunky was obviously used as a reference to their relative size advantage over Garnett. While only 1-2 inches taller than him, these C are typically in excess of 20-40 lbs. heavier. Hence I used the colloquial term 'chunky'. With regards to your actual question, I sincerely hope you're kidding - do you honestly believe KG will be a force in 5-10 years? He was born in 1976, he's not as young as you think he is. Even though the rationale behind your question is clearly fragmented, I'll answer it assuming your time frame maxes out at around 5 years (All of the below players are either 1-2 years Garnett's senior, or many years his junior):

Okur - 249 lbs
Kaman - 265
Miller - 261
Bogut - 245
Haywood - 263
Dampier - 265
Brezec - 252
Krstic - 240
Mihm - 265
Gadzuric - 240
Thomas - 260
Pachulia - 265

Hope that answers your question, alby.

Last edited by orangedays; 02-26-2006 at 03:34 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote