Thread: Mavs Schedule
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #12
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

For time being, Mavs' focus is on the now

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SALT LAKE CITY -- Twenty games remain in the regular season for the Mavericks, and though the playoff bracket is far from settled, it won't be too long until potential matchups start to take shape.

The Mavs (49-13) remained on top of the Western Conference with Saturday night's 90-87 win over Utah at the Delta Center.

The Jazz (30-32) are fighting for one of the final playoff spots in the West and could be a potential first-round matchup for the Mavs. It appears likely that either the first or fourth seed is the Mavs' playoff slot.

"At some point when you start getting in position to play somebody, you'll start looking if there are three or four teams in that area," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said. "And it's not a failure to plan on our part. It's just that it's too much season left. We have too many things to work on. We're trying to hit a stride right now, so that's all we're focused on."

Johnson and his staff plan to begin studying postseason scenarios late this month or in early April. The season ends April 19.

The remainder of March, with eight of the next 11 games on the road, offers several stiff tests as the Mavs begin to gear up for the playoffs. Facing Sacramento tonight concludes a challenging back-to-back against two teams battling for playoff berths.

"Right now we're just focused on what we can control," Johnson said. "We know we're playing some awfully good teams and we're in a tough stretch. We're playing a lot of games in a short period of time."

No timetable for Van Horn

Keith Van Horn said rehab is progressing on the sprained ligament (medial collateral) in his left knee, but he doesn't have a timetable for returning. Van Horn has been out four games, since March 5, and the team originally estimated a two-week absence.

"A lot of it is going to depend on how the harder workouts go and how [the knee] handles that," Van Horn said. "I probably won't be into that until Monday or Tuesday."

Van Horn has begun to do some light jogging, with jumping being the next hurdle.

Van Horn sustained the injury when Darrell Armstrong, taking a charge against Charlotte on March 3, fell into his left leg, causing the knee to buckle in the wrong direction.

"I should have known," Van Horn said of Armstrong's penchant for sacrificing his body. "When I saw him there, I should have got out of the way because he's always ready to take that charge."

Briefly

Jason Terry attended the wake of a niece Friday in Atlanta and returned to the team Saturday afternoon on Mark Cuban's private plane.

Josh Howard missed his fourth consecutive game with a strained left hamstring.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote