View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 12:59 AM   #99
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Moderate muslims have to make a choice? I think that significantly oversimplies the situation that these people have to face on a daily basis - the choice that exists for these people is often (1) try and lead a normal life or (2) try and do something about it and face the very real risk of having their entire families eliminated as reprisal. What would YOU do in a situation like that? Perhaps you would risk it. What would the average American do in a situation like that? Probably the exact same thing that these moderate muslims are doing today. The entities in power in these places do not tolerate dissent - they crush it...we cannot condemn people for being helpless. By your logic, why didn't the Kurds rise up against Saddam while he was systematically eliminating them from the face of the planet? Why don't the black Sudanese rise up against the Sudanese government in Darfur? Why didn't the Jews rise up against Hitler? It's not like these people have a real choice - what would you suggest they do? Mobilize militias against the might of a government-sponsored army? They would be crushed. Vote? The political entities in power are not exactly tolerant of dissent - they eliminate it wherever they find it...violently. Going along the lines of the Holocaust example, by your logic, should we condemn the average, non-military German citizen who did nothing to stop Hitler's actions (despite being morally opposed to them)?

Lastly, one thing I feel you need to adjust is your point-of-view of these people in the Middle East (Palestinians in this case). Not every Palestinian is training their kid to be a suicide bomber...the minority holds the majority hostage through fear. Just as a tiny group of terrorists held the United States hostage with fear following 9/11 (and, I would argue, still does today). It is a very sad reality, but it is a reality nonetheless. And I think it is irresponsible for us, as humans, to say, "tough" to these people for their inability to save themselves. If it were as easy as making a choice, then Goddamn right they should go out and fight. But they know, and I know, and YOU know that that is a fight they cannot win. Should we abandon these people? No. Absolutely not.

Last edited by orangedays; 03-21-2006 at 01:02 AM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote