Thread: Dirk for MVP
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

D2K-- You may be right about what it would say about the league if Nash won a second MVP. But maybe not. Just because the best player(s) in the game aren't transcendent like the best player(s) used to be does not automatically mean that the league as a whole has less talent. It would be an interesting exercise to compare an average team in today's league to average teams from years gone by.

On nash's lack of transcendence... I certainly don't think he's doing anything new, if that's what you mean. What I like most about the guy is that he is something of a throwback in terms of the PG position. I grant that part of Nash's appeal is that he is one of the few guys who plays the position like a Stockton did in older days. I lament the degradation of the PG position over the last several years.

OD-- You're probably right that Malone and Duncan played/play on a higher plane than Nash. But let it play out. Who knows, one day Nash might take a place among those all-time greats. If his Suns win a couple titles, he'd have to get some consideration, no? See, I think they are capable of that. And I think Nash would be the main reason it would happen, Stoudemire and Marion notwithstanding.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote