View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 02:24 AM   #35
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Titans interview QB Young
Reese gives his approval to quarterback's advisers

By PAUL KUHARSKY
Staff Writer

Published: Friday, 03/24/06
AUSTIN, Texas — The Titans can now say they know Vince Young.

After watching some film with the quarterback and Longhorns offensive coordinator Greg Davis on Wednesday evening, the team's seven-person entourage enjoyed a Mexican dinner with Young, his uncle and his agent.

Yesterday, Jeff Fisher had breakfast with Young before a film work session at Texas' football office. Then Young went through a private workout at the team's practice bubble with Titans receivers Courtney Roby, Bobby Wade and Sloan Thomas catching passes.

After he reportedly scored a 6 on his first try at the Wonderlic — a 12-minute, 50-question test administered at the combine — some questioned Young's preparation and decision-making,

But Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said after visiting with Young and the two men he's chosen to guide him — his uncle Keith Young and his inexperienced agent Major Adams — he doesn't have any major questions.

And it's Reese who will have the ultimate say if the Titans decide to draft Young, Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler with the No. 3 pick in the April 29-30 draft.

"I don't think we feel uncomfortable at all about that, I think that was just an example of how these things get blown out of proportion," Reese said. "We met with his agent and with his uncle for a long time.

"They are exceptional people and I can understand why Vince chose them. That probably wasn't as hard a decision as a lot of people want to make it out to be."

Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow already knew Leinart from their time together with the Trojans. He already knew Vanderbilt's Cutler from coaching him at the Senior Bowl and spending a recent day with him at team headquarters.

Now he finally has a feel for Young and will be able to make some comparisons as the Titans get closer to the draft.

"That was the first time I've even seen Vince in person because I missed him at the combine," Chow said after Wednesday's Pro Day workout. "Whatever fears people had about him, he seems like a guy people had a lot of questions about, I think he got a lot of them answered.

"I think he did a nice job. I think he did a lot to help himself in the draft."

Fisher said he too was pleased with what he saw and heard from Young during two days in Austin.

"I was very impressed with every phase, with his personality, his character, his competitiveness, his athletic ability," Fisher said.

A day after Young looked solid and drew some rave reviews for completing 50 of 55 passes in a Pro Day workout, Tennessee wanted to see Young perform in some less orchestrated situations.

"He did well with the different throws, the sprint outs, the pressure flushes, the scrambles and the different drops, the three-step, the five-step and the full drop," Fisher said. "I thought he did a nice job in each one of those situations."

Fisher said the three Titans receivers helped by bringing a great deal of energy to the workout.

Said Roby: "Basically we just ran the route tree and everything. Vince looked very comfortable. He has a strong arm. He has all of it. He's a very personable guy. He did well."

The Titans have plans to spend the same sort of time with Leinart on April 3, the day after the Trojans hold their Pro Day on campus.

And while they've already visited extensively with Cutler, odds are they will invite him back in to throw to the same trio of receivers as they continue to compare the three for the draft. •