Thread: Injuries Update
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 04:44 AM   #117
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Mavs missing ailing trio

Dallas has been losing ground minus Howard, Griffin and Harris

11:04 PM CST on Thursday, March 30, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

ORLANDO, Fla. – The Mavericks put up a good fight. But it's clear now that they can't get it done in the NBA's high-rent district without Josh Howard.

Their record since he went out with a strained left hamstring is 8-6. He came back for 13 minutes in one game. But since that false start nine games ago, they're 5-4.

That's fine if you're the Clippers or the Lakers. But all it's going to get you is lapped if your competition is the Spurs.

Tonight, Howard is scheduled to return to the court, and not a moment too soon.

Avery Johnson hasn't lost three games in a row in his coaching career, and he doesn't want to change that now. The Orlando Magic may be headed to the lottery. But at this point, with the Mavericks on a downturn, nothing can be taken for granted.

None of the Mavericks believe their recent mediocrity is reason to fret.

Howard will be back, presumably healthy and rested. Adrian Griffin isn't far behind. Devin Harris is due back next week, perhaps.

Each absence cannot be overstated. Harris has missed 10 consecutive games and the Mavericks are 5-5. Harris, Griffin and Howard are the Mavericks' three best perimeter defenders. Getting them all back soon ensures the future isn't bleak.

"I love coaching this team, through thick and thin," Johnson said. "I'm on the train with them, whether it gets rocky or not. I think we have a heck of a team. I think we can still turn this into a special season. But right now, we're just sputtering.

"That doesn't mean our season is over. That doesn't mean we don't have the same goals. We still have all those things."

To have any chance to realize their goals, the Mavericks must get healthy. Jason Terry has been forced to play point guard more with Harris out. And the team has bogged down late in games, when defenses stiffen.

Dirk Nowitzki has had to work harder for shots and has played more minutes during the injury crunch.

Getting healthy will ease the burden on everybody, because the Mavericks have looked beaten down of late.

"You don't want to ever think that," Johnson said. "I'm proud of what these guys have done under some tough circumstances. They haven't quit. I'm hoping we can look back on this stretch and say that everybody hung in there. Nobody pointed fingers and we held our ground during this tough stretch."

Dirk says relax: When the subject of catching San Antonio comes up, the Mavericks know the odds are against them.

Going into the last 10 games, they have to make up two games in the loss column to tie. And at that point, they would be at the mercy of tiebreakers that are stacked against them.

"It's hard not to get caught up in this race, but obviously, it doesn't matter if you're a one or a four seed if you don't play at a high level," Nowitzki said. "You're going to have a tough time. You've got to make sure you're clicking on all cylinders and have everybody healthy. That's really more of a concern than the one or the four seed."

That sentiment filtered through the locker room after Wednesday's loss at Cleveland. Even if the Mavericks were to finish 8-2, the Spurs would only have to go 6-4 – if they win April 7 in San Antonio against the Mavs – to clinch the No. 1 seed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mavs lose Mbenga to suspension, Daniels to injury

Posted on Fri, Mar. 31, 2006

By DWAIN PRICE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

ORLANDO _ The already short-handed Mavericks had their roster trimmed some more Friday when the NBA suspended center DJ Mbenga, while guard Marquis Daniels is injured again.

Neither player will be available when the Mavericks play the Orlando Magic at 6 p.m. Friday at TD Waterhouse Centre.

Mbenga was suspended for one game without pay when he was issued a Flagrant One foul after he struck Cleveland’s LeBron James in the head _ the blow knocked James’ headband off _ during Wednesday’s 107-94 loss to the Cavaliers. Game officials originally gave Mbenga a Flagrant One foul, but after reviewing video of the incident, the NBA upgraded it to a Flagrant Two foul.

“That’s crazy," said Mbenga, who won’t be allowed in the arena Friday night. “I’m surprised.

“When I fouled him, I was just out there playing my game. I’m just trying to block shots. It was not my intentions to try to hurt him."

In addition to Mbenga’s absence, the Mavs will also be without Daniels, who said he reaggravated his neck at some point during the game against Cleveland.

“It’s a just a little precautionary thing, and it’s nothing to worry about,’’ Daniels said. “It’s too early to tell whether I’ll play Sunday [at home against Denver], but I’m definitely looking forward to it."

Daniels missed 14 games earlier this season with a strained neck. On a personal front, Daniels’ latest injury hurts even more, because he’s from Orlando and was in the process of purchasing 100 tickets for the Mavs’ lone appearance in Orlando this season.
“Of all the places to get this, it’s here," Daniels said. “But it’ll be for the best."

While the Mavs will not have Daniels and Mbenga, Josh Howard is expected to play, although the Mavs are still listing him as a gametime decision. However, Devin Harris (strained left quadriceps) and Adrian Griffin (strained right hamstring) are definitely out for the game.

“I’m out and DJ gets suspended; that’s crazy," Daniels said. “It puts a strain the team, but we’ll get Josh back tonight.

“This will show our depth, and guys will have to just step up and make things happen. They know what they’ve got to do."

Last edited by shaw-xx; 03-31-2006 at 07:32 PM.
shaw-xx is offline   Reply With Quote