View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 06:47 AM   #8
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

As Mavs sputter, coach says team in need of a hug

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Several times during the course of this season, coach Avery Johnson talked about the times to discipline his team, the times to work them harder, or the times to just give them a hug.

Now, Johnson said, is the time to deliver some hugs.

The short-handed Mavs have dropped four of their past six games going into tonight's 6 o'clock contest against the Orlando Magic at TD Waterhouse Centre. But throughout the losing, Johnson said his players have given 100 percent effort.

"I really love coaching this team, through thick and thin," Johnson said. "I'm on the train with them, whether it gets rocky or not, and I told them that after Wednesday's game in Cleveland."

Injuries the past three weeks to Josh Howard, Devin Harris and Adrian Griffin have handcuffed the Mavs, and it's finally catching up with them, Johnson said. Howard, though, might be able to play tonight, with Griffin expected back next week.

"I think we have a heck of a team," Johnson said. "I think we still can turn this into a special season, but right now we're just sputtering. But that doesn't mean our season is over, that doesn't mean we don't still have the same goals."

Because the Mavs (54-18) are two games behind the San Antonio Spurs (55-16) in the loss column, securing the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference playoffs might be a lost cause. The Mavs already trail the Spurs in head-to-head competition 2-1, and they still have to play at San Antonio on April 7.

"You want to be clicking on all cylinders and you want to have everybody healthy," forward Dirk Nowitzki said. "That's really more of a concern than the one or the four seed.

"We would love to get everybody healthy and be playing well coming into the playoffs. If it's a one seed, great. If not, we've still got to make the best out of it."

A special place

For Darrell Armstrong, playing in Orlando is like playing in his own back yard.

The Magic was the first NBA team to give Armstrong a chance when they signed him as a free agent in 1995. The point guard spent nearly nine years with the Magic, becoming one of the team's most popular players before he left via free agency in 2003.

"It's just a special place," Armstrong said. "Nine years, especially being a walk-on free agent and the way the fans accepted me. They're always going to have my love and my heart, and I know I'm going to have their love and their heart."

Armstrong still has close ties with Orlando that he said will never be broken.

"I still have my foundation for premature babies in Orlando, I have a child development center for premature babies, and I donate ambulances that they use around Central Florida and Orlando for babies," Armstrong said. "Plus, I still do my basketball camps three times in the summer in Orlando."

And the best nugget of all for Armstrong?

"The Magic still haven't made the playoffs since I left," he said, smiling.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote