View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 01:31 AM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Man, chumdawg, you watch the Stars & they lose their first shootout of the year!

Thanks for bringing this up b/c I see this is a perfect opportunity to make my annual “pimp the Stars despite the fact almost nobody here cares about them” post. The answer to your question is YES, you should DEFINITELY jump on the bandwagon now. With a point for the overtime loss tonight, they clinch a playoff spot. They will probably clinch the Pacific division early next week. This is definitely the best chance the Stars have had to win the Stanley Cup since 2000 when they went to the Finals. This is a special team that no one knows about. Here is a quick primer:

This is the best & most balanced team the Stars have fielded since Dave Tippett took over, despite the fact that they cut $30mil off the payoff last summer to get under the cap. They are still the stingiest team in the league—that much hasn’t changed—they allow the fewest shots per game in the league. However, they also have 4 players w/at least 20 goals. They can play any style, have excellent skill guys (including 6 Finns on the roster) but also good grit. They lead the league in fighting majors.

They are probably one of the most resilient teams I’ve ever seen—they’ve come back to win an NHL record 11 times when trailing after 2 periods. This is personified by their opening night performance, when they came back from being down 4-0 in the first to win 5-4. Tonight they finally lost in shootout, where they are now still a remarkable 11-1, helped largely by rookie Jussi Jokinen, who scored in his first 9 attempts (but the concern of course is there is no shootout in the playoffs).

One weakness to watch out for going into the playoffs is their surprisingly mediocre special teams (21st ranked power play out of 30), but they have been much better since the Olympic break. Also, Marty Turco has been up & down this season, but, again, much better since the break. They are cruising toward the playoffs & will almost certainly finish second in the West behind Detroit. B/c the West’s playoff picture is so jumbled, they can play any one of about 6 teams in the first round, but if I were to bet, I would say we’re going to get Edmonton. Because…we always get Edmonton.

So in conclusion, the bandwagon’s cooking over at the Stars boards. I encourage everyone to jump aboard. =D