View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

It doesn't say whether he gradauted or not. The article focuses on his close relationship with his grandmother. Since you guys liked what you saw, I'll type a bit more of it that explores that relationship.

The Mavericks owe Grandma a hug. Howard chrashed in that twin bed back in Winston-Salem last summer so he could confer with the person he trusts most in the world. In the front seats of his Navigator as he drove her to the market or at her kitchen table as he ate pancakes slathered with molasses, they talked it all out. Whenever Howard wondered if he'd already topped out as a player, Grandma Helen said he was capable of far more.

As always, she was right.

Somewhere, though, in all that time spent basking in Grandma's unconditional love and wisdom, it dawned on Howard: She won't always be around. Then he conjured an image of Grandpa Joshua, sitting in his kitchen with his grandson or granddaughter. One last transformation. "I don't want her to go, but someday she will," he says. "And I want to be the one taking her place."

But not in the same place. Although he hopes to team with fellow Demon Deacon Chris Paul to provide for the youngsters in Winston-Salem, Howard is not expecting to raise a family there. "I'll be close enough but far enough," he says. "I want my kids to have a better opportunity."

Wherever he goes, though, 1500 E. Sedgefield Dr. will be with him. Because Grandma's house signifies that no matter where you're from, there's no place you can't go.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote