View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #51
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
So let me get this straight.....the author of this "story" and the guys attorney (and mavdog it seems) all "think" that they know more about what happened than MI5 and US intellgience agencies? shocker.

I love how this was buried as an afterthought.

The tribunals ruled that both men should be classified as enemy combatants.

I hope they weren't trying to use this to convince anyone of wrongdoing....

Rawi told his lawyer he was visited in Guantanamo at least six times by MI5 officials, including some of the same agents who had served as his handlers in London. They apologized for the turn of events, but asked whether he would still be willing to work for the agency if they could secure his release.

This is not an atypical method of turning a person into an informant. It has been used for years by intelligence and police officials alike. And not just those of western countries. Pretty typical methodology.
yeah, it's "typical methodology" to violate other nation's laws, and then use such incarceration ("screw habeus corpus" they say...) as a tool to get the detainees to become informants.

the problem with the military tribunals is there are no safeguards that we normally find in our court system. the detainees do not have the right to face their accusers, and they do not get to select their defenders. the proceedings are kept secret as well. these may be 'typical" if we're discussing the soviet justice system, or even perhaps the cuban judicial system, but not the american judicial system.

I for one do NOT see a governmental organization's flaunting of the law as "typical", save and except the totalitarian regimes we have fought against. We should all be disappointed and vocal against our government acting in such a manner.

The most disturbing item in the news story is that these detainees have not been charged with breaking any laws....think about that. no habeus corpus, no charges, and over 3 years of their lives have been taken away.

all the while they have not been shown to be terrorist, nor to have provided any assistance to any terrorist. their only "crime" is their nationality.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote